- 4 cups oatmeal (I like using old-fashioned)
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 2 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 42 pretzels
- finely ground sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix oatmeal with corn syrup, brown sugar, and melted butter until well combined.
- Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving extra paper hanging over the short end of the baking dish.
- Press oat mixture firmly into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool while making caramel layer.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add brown sugar, corn syrup, heavy cream, and salt.
- Using a candy thermometer, bring to a boil and stir frequently until caramel mixture reaches the soft ball stage, or 235 degrees.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour caramel mixture over oat mixture, and chill until firmly set.
- Once the bars are set, press pretzels onto the top of the caramel layer and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Using the parchment paper, lift the entire uncut caramel oat block from the baking dish and place on a cutting board. Cut into bars.
- Keep refrigerated, but set the bars out at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving to soften the caramel layer a bit. Your teeth will thank you.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 143mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 28mg