- 1 lb. cubed butternut squash
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 red pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bullion chicken base
- 14.5 ounce can Italian style stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 10 turns of a pepper mill
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Rustic Buttery Garlic Croutons
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange prepared squash, carrots, zucchini, pepper, and onion onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat.
- Roast vegetables, stirring halfway through, for 30 minutes, or until they are soft and caramelized. Add garlic to the baking sheet for the last 5 minutes of roasting.
- In a crockpot on the high setting, mix together 4 cups of boiling water with chicken base.
- Add roasted vegetables and all remaining drippings on the baking sheet to the crockpot.
- Add stewed tomatoes, basil, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 2-3 hours, or low 4-6 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves. Being careful not to overfill the blender, blend the soup* until smooth in batches, and return to crockpot. An emersion blender will also work if you have one.
- Stir in heavy cream, and taste. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat to the low setting until ready to serve.
- Serve with rustic croutons and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
*When blending hot liquid, be careful not to overfill and make sure that the blender pitcher is vented so that hot air can escape as it blends.
**This recipe is adapted from The Pioneer Woman’s Roasted Vegetable Soup.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 306
- Sugar: 9.2g
- Sodium: 996mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.1g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 47mg