This Roasted Tomato Salsa has an amazing depth of flavor and the perfect texture, using homegrown tomatoes. Grab some chips and dig in!
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 pounds sliced tomatoes, stems removed
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut into one inch chunks
- 12 peppers, stems removed (I used half jalapeño and half serrano)
- Juice of one lime
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Additional lime juice, fresh diced peppers, and kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice off the top of the garlic head (the pointed end) to expose the cloves. Lay the garlic on a piece of foil, drizzle the top with about 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle with salt. Wrap the foil around the head of garlic loosely, and then place it on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the baking sheet with the remaining oil, and then place the sliced tomatoes, onion, and peppers on the baking sheet in an even layer. Move everything around on the baking sheet so it gets coated in the oil.
- Roast for 45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, and then scoop the tomatoes, onions, and peppers into a food processor, along with lime juice and fresh cilantro. Unwrap the garlic head and squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of the papery skin into the food processor. The garlic should be soft, sweeter, and mellow in flavor. Pulse until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Let the salsa cool to room temperature, and then taste with chips to avoid over-salting. Add more lime juice, fresh diced peppers, or kosher salt to taste. I added an additional 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (not table salt) and two jalapeños to mine.
- Let the salsa hang out before serving so the flavors can meld together for at least an hour or two, while it chills in the fridge. Keep leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4-6 days.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 19
- Sugar: 1.4g
- Sodium: 22mg
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2.4g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: roasted tomato, salsa, healthy