How to make the best scalloped potatoes, and roast your own garlic!
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 5–6 medium sized Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To roast your garlic, slice off the very top (opposite the root end) of the head of garlic. Place the head of garlic on a square of tin foil, and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Gather the sides of the foil and loosely wrap the garlic up in a little foil packet. Place the packet on a baking sheet and place it in the oven. Bake for 1 hour, then remove it from the packet and then set it aside and let it cool for a bit.
- Peel and slice your potatoes and then place them evenly in a greased 9 by 9 inch baking dish. Set aside while you make the white sauce.
- In a medium pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Sprinkle the flour over the butter, and cook for a few minutes stirring constantly. Whisk as you pour the milk into the pan, and bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and allow the sauce to thicken slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Squeeze the garlic out of the skin into a small bowl and mash it into a paste. Add the roasted garlic to the white sauce, along with the heavy cream, salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Pour the white sauce over the potatoes and press the potatoes down a bit so that they are mostly covered.
- Sprinkle the Panko breadcrumbs over the top of the potatoes.
- Cover the baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 361
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 374mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 8.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 9.1g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
Keywords: roasted garlic scalloped potatoes, scalloped potatoes, roasted garlic, potatoes