- 1 whole butternut squash (about 3 pounds)*
- 1 large sweet potato
- oil, salt and pepper
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 onion
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- With a sharp knife, carefully cut the butternut squash into quarters, and then half each quarter. Leave the skin on, as it is easier to remove after roasting. Scrape seeds out with the edge of a spoon. Place the pieces on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Cut the sweet potato into large wedges as well, leaving the skin attached. Place them on the baking sheet, and then drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss with fingers to coat.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the squash and sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Cook bacon pieces in a medium skillet over medium high heat, and when almost crisp, add hazelnuts and sage, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until bacon is done and hazelnuts are toasted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bacon and hazelnuts from the pan to drain on a paper towel, reserving the bacon fat.
- Add bacon fat and onions to a Dutch oven or large pot, and cook over medium high heat until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the flesh of the roasted squash and sweet potatoes, broth, ground cumin, ground chipotle chili pepper, salt and pepper to the onions. Bring to a gentle boil, then turn heat down, puree with immersion blender and simmer on medium low heat for 15-20 minutes. Ladle into bowls, swirl in 1 TB heavy cream, and sprinkle with bacon and hazelnuts.
*if you buy a package of pre-cut squash, you will need about 4 cups. Adjust baking time accordingly, as smaller pieces will not take as long to roast.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 322
- Sugar: 8.3g
- Sodium: 991mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Protein: 8.3g
- Cholesterol: 28mg