The perfect Christmas cookie is both beautiful and tasty, and I think these Raspberry Almond Pinwheels check both boxes.
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- Toast almonds in a pan, stirring constantly over medium heat on the stovetop. Watch closely for them to turn lightly golden brown and become fragrant. Remove from the heat immediately. Chop finely and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix all-purpose flour and baking powder.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the mixing bowl on low speed until just incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Roll the dough out into a 12 by 12 inch square between two pieces of wax paper. Use a ruler to help keep the sides from becoming too thin as you roll it out.
- Spread the raspberry jam into a thin even layer over the dough. Sprinkle chopped almonds over the top. Using the wax paper to help, roll the dough up tightly, jelly-roll style. Cover and chill for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the dough into 1/4 inch thick slices. Don’t worry too much if it cracks… just carefully transfer to the baking sheet and pat it back together. Any gaps will fill in as it bakes. If your dough slices aren’t round but are more oval-like, this is a good time to gently push them into a round shape.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 9-12 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container. These freeze well up to 3 months.
This recipe is adapted from Taste of Home’s Raspberry Nut Pinwheels.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 77mg
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
Keywords: raspberry, almond, raspberry almond pinwheels, cookies, baking