- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Toasted Coconut
- Chopped Almonds
- In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt, milk, oats and brown sugar. Add berries or cinnamon and raisins at this point if desired.
- Divide into three jars or containers, and refrigerated at least 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Add additional toppings such as toasted coconut, almonds, or honey.
- To toast your coconut, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread sweetened coconut flakes on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake the coconut for about five minutes, watching for most of the flakes to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
***Since I’ve made this a few more times, I’ve noticed that the oats soften quite a bit more when the jar is allowed to set at room temperature, for example, when I take it out of the fridge before leaving the house in the morning and then eat it later for lunch. So if you feel like the oats are too crunchy, allow it to sit at room temperature for a while. If this does not work well with your schedule, you may want to substitute old fashioned rolled oats instead of steel cut oats, or a mixture of the two. ***I’ve also tried microwaving the mixed oats, yogurt, brown sugar and milk for a minute or so before pouring into the jars to refrigerate. This really made the oats soften up by the next morning, even without sitting out at room temp. So you can kind of play with the recipe to get it to the texture you prefer.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving (toppings not included)
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 9.9g
- Sodium: 52mg
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 7mg