- 5 thin* boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 oz each)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 packet McCormick Organics Fajita Seasoning Mix, divided
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- Optional Toppings: Crumbled queso fresco, fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, tortilla strips, slices of lime
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour with 2 teaspoons of the McCormick Organics Fajita Seasoning. Set aside the remaining seasoning for later use in this recipe.
- Dredge the chicken into the flour on both sides, and shake off excess. Set the coated chicken breast on a plate, and repeat with all five pieces.
- Heat a large shallow pan or walled skillet on medium high heat. Add oil and butter, and half of the chicken to the pan. Cook about 4 minutes per side, and then remove the chicken from the pan to a plate, and repeat with the remaining chicken breasts. The chicken should be browned on both sides, and almost cooked through.
- With the pan still on medium high heat, add the onions and peppers and cook until just tender. Add the rice and toast for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, salsa, and the remaining contents of the seasoning packet, and stir. Bring to a boil, and then turn heat down to medium low and cover.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. If the liquid has all absorbed before the rice is tender, add 1/4 cup more water or broth and continue to simmer. Serve with suggested toppings as desired.
*This recipe works best with thin boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can look for them packaged this way in the grocery store, or you can slice larger chicken breasts horizontally so you have two thin halves.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 876mg
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 38g
- Cholesterol: 103mg