With that sticky sweet orange icing, and almost petit four shape, these Mini Orange Cream Scones really are divine!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- additional 1 tablespoon heavy cream
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- zest of one orange
- 2–3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and orange zest. Set aside.
- Place a 1/2 cup of heavy cream into the freezer for 5-10 minutes. In the meantime, melt the butter, and squeeze the orange, straining out any seeds.
- Add the butter to the chilled cream, along with the orange juice and vanilla extract.
- Pour the cream mixture into the flour mixture, and stir until you have a crumbly dough. With your hands, bring the dough together, kneading a few times on a very lightly floured surface until mostly smooth.
- Pat the dough into a rectangle, and cut out scones. Reshape dough as needed and cut. Place the scones on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the scones with heavy cream.
- Bake the scones for about 12-14 minutes, or until the tops and bottoms are slightly golden.
- Allow the scones to mostly cool, and then top with orange icing.
For the Icing
- Add powdered sugar and orange zest to a small bowl. Start with 2 tablespoons of orange juice, whisking until you have a thick paste. Slowly add a tiny bit more juice until the icing is thick, but will just barely drizzle off the whisk.
- Serving Size: 1 Mini Scone
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 220mg
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
Keywords: mini orange cream scones, mini scones, orange glaze, dessert