- 2 eggs, plus one egg yolk
- 3/4 cup (5 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, or vanilla extract
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 tablespoons (5 ounces) melted butter
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease the wells of the madeleine pan with butter.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with an electric hand mixer until they are pale yellow and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add sugar and blend. Add vanilla paste, lemon zest, and lemon juice and blend again.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the batter and gently fold it in by hand.
- Slowly pour in the melted butter and fold the batter gently by hand until completely incorporated.
- Spoon the madeleine batter into each of the prepared wells, filling them 80-90 percent full. Or you can fill a piping bag with the batter and pipe them through a large tip into each well. Tap the pan on the countertop to settle the batter and release air bubbles.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-9 minutes or until edges are golden brown and tops of the cakes are just dry and springy to the touch.
- After cooling in the pan for 1-2 minutes, invert the pan and cool the madeleines on a cooling rack before dusting with powdered sugar if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 Madeleine
- Calories: 97
- Sugar: 6.9g
- Sodium: 50mg
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 36mg