For the Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- Butter for the pan
For the Fresh Berry Sauce
- 2 cups berries, strawberries halved
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- fresh mint for garnish if desired
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together ricotta, milk, egg yolks (reserve egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer), vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the ricotta mixture and stir together. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the reserved egg whites until soft peaks form about 2-3 minutes. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Set aside.
- Preheat a cast iron pan or griddle over medium heat.
- While the batter rests and the pan preheats, add the fresh berries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and salt to a small pan. Bring them to a gentle simmer over medium low heat, stirring and crushing slightly as they cook to bring the juices out. When the juices have thickened slightly, turn the heat off and start on the pancakes.
- Spread butter to the preheated pan or griddle and ladle the pancake batter using about 3/4 cup batter per pancake. Cook about 2 minutes per side. Serve warm with fresh berry sauce.
This recipe is slightly adapted from a Fluffy Ricotta Pancake recipe found on Kitchn.
- Serving Size: 1 Pancake With Berry Sauce
- Calories: 206
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 181mg
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 7.8g
- Cholesterol: 68mg