With their perfectly tart lemon icing, these buttery, crisp Iced Lemon Oatmeal Cookies are the sweetest bites of pure Arizona sunshine.
For the Cookies
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
For the Icing
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (more as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add granulated sugar to a small bowl, and zest lemon into the sugar. Rub the zest into the sugar with your fingers to release the lemon oils and enhance the lemon flavor.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream butter and lemon sugar together. Add lemon extract if desired.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and oats and mix until a dough forms.
- Scoop tablespoon sized balls onto the baking sheet (12 per sheet). Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges are just golden. Cool on the baking sheet for three minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack.
For the Icing
- In a shallow bowl, mix powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice together. Start with one tablespoon, and add more juice until the icing is the consitency of white glue. Error on the side of too thick, as you can always add another drop or two of lemon juice as needed.
- Gently dab the top of the cookies into the icing. Allow to set before stacking.
*If your lemons are nice and tart, you may not needs this… but feel free to add if you want to boost the lemon flavor.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 123
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 82mg
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
Keywords: iced lemon oatmeal cookies, lemon cookies, oatmeal cookies, lemon icing, lemon, cookies, spring