- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together flours, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. Mix on low speed to combine.
- Add cold cubed butter and mix on medium speed until a course crumb is formed
- In a small bowl, mix together honey, water, and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add the honey mixture to the flour mixture until a dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Between two pieces of parchment paper, roll out dough and cut out into shapes.
- Place the shapes on a Silpat lined baking sheet, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- I like to put my cut out dough into the freezer to chill while the oven is preheating because I think it helps them retain their shape when baking.
- When oven reaches 350 degrees, bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack completely before icing.
- Measure out powdered sugar and whisk in 1 tablespoon of water. If icing is too thick add a tiny bit more water until the consistency is good for icing. It should be similar to the consistency of toothpaste.