Perfectly spiced squares of apple pie with crisscross icing on top!
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/2 cup very cold water
- 6 medium sized Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Apple Pie Spice
- Optional: egg wash (beaten egg, plus 1 tablespoon milk)
- Sanding sugar
For the Icing
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, or high powered blender, pulse flour, salt and sugar together. Add cubed butter and pulse again until you have a mixture of coarse crumbs. Slowly add the cold water and process until a dough forms. Remove the dough from the processor and knead a few times on a floured surface to bring the dough together. Divide into two equal parts, and then cover and chill the dough for one hour while you prepare the apple filling.
- In a large bowl mix apples, granulated and brown sugar, flour, and apple pie spice together until well coated.
- Unwrap one piece of dough and roll out into a rectangle shape on a well floured surface, patting the edges together if they crack. Go slowly, and make sure the dough is not sticking to the surface. Add flour as needed. The rectangle needs to be about 2-3 inches larger than the baking pan, so about 12 by 15 inches. Roll the dough around the rolling pin to transfer it into a 9 by 13 inch baking pan, allowing the dough to go up the sides of the pan.
- Spoon the apple mixture evenly on top of the dough, and then roll out the second piece of dough in the same way, laying it on top of the apples.
- Tuck the sides of the dough around the apple mixture, crimping as you go to seal the top and bottom layer of dough together.
- Brush the egg wash over the top crust, and then sprinkle with a thin layer of sanding sugar if desired. This just gives the top crust a nice shiny finish.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Cover the edges of the crust with pieces of foil if they are golden brown before the pie is finished cooking.
- To make the icing, whisk together melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk until smooth. Spoon the icing into a sealable plastic bag, and cut a very small bit of the bottom corner off the bag.
- Cool at least 1 hour before icing and slicing.
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories: 433
- Sugar: 35g
- Sodium: 117mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 63g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 62mg