A really good bowl of oatmeal on a chilly morning is warm, comforting, and satisfying. Let me show you how I like to make it!
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup whole milk*
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
Topping ideas: butter, brown sugar, toasted pecans, maple syrup, cream, chopped dried fruit
- Add water, milk, oats, and salt to a pan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When the liquid begins to boil, turn the heat down to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the liquid is mostly absorbed and the oats are tender, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon.
- Divide into bowls, and top with butter, brown sugar, toasted pecans, maple syrup, cream, chopped dried fruit, or all of the above!
*We like our oatmeal a little on the thicker side. Add up to 1/2 cup more milk for a thinner consistency.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 429mg
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 6.1mg
Keywords: oatmeal, how to recipe, healthy breakfast