These Glazed Pumpkin Hand Pies definitely had me at hello with their ultra flakey crust, creamy pumpkin pie filling, and sweet vanilla glaze.
For the Crust *
- 6 tablespoons chilled salted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup shortening, chilled and cubed
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – 2/3 cups ice cold water
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1 ounce very soft room temperature cream cheese
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Crust
- In a large mixing bowl, use a pastry cutter to cut butter and shortening cubes into the flour and salt. Keep working until you have pea sized bits. Spoon the ice water into the bowl, one tablespoon at a time and using a wooden spoon, bring the dough together. You may want to use your hands in the end.
- When the dough is still a bit crumbly, but holding together, cover it with plastic wrap and shape it into a disk. Chill 3-4 hours.
For the Filling
- In a small food processor, or with a hand mixer, mix or pulse together the pumpkin puree, soft cream cheese, brown sugar and pumpkin spice until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to assemble hand pies.
For the Glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth. If mixture is too thick to spoon, add 1 teaspoon of milk at a time until just thin enough to spoon over hand pies.
To Assemble and Bake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the chilled dough from the fridge and let is set out at room temperature 10 minutes, or until you are able to roll it out on a well-floured surface to about 1/8 inch thick. As you roll it out, keep rotating the dough and adding flour as needed to keep it from sticking.
- Use a 3 1/2 inch round cutter (or this very handy tool) and cut out 24 rounds, re-rolling out scraps as needed.
- Place the rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet, and then add 1 1/2 tablespoons of filling into the center of each dough round.
- Place another dough round on top, and crimp the edges to seal.
- Bake the hand pies for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack. Spoon glaze over the top and let set.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Freeze up to 3 months.
*This crust recipe makes enough dough for a double crust traditional pie. If you want to use pre-made refrigerated or frozen pie crust, you will need to use two rounds of dough to make 12 hand pies. Recipe slightly adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Serving Size: 1 Hand Pie
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 145mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 9.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Keywords: glazed pumpkin hand pies, pumpkin pie, hand pies, vanilla glaze, pumpkin, Thanksgiving