- 4 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- zest of one orange
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 2–3 tablespoons oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups snow peas (or other veggie of choice)
- kosher salt
- 2 cups steamed white rice
- fresh orange slices for garnish
- Add ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, rice wine, orange zest and juice, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar and white vinegar to a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over high heat.
- When pan is preheated and the oil is very hot, carefully tilt pan so the oil is coating most of the surface of the pan. Add ground chicken and flatten to a single layer. Allow the chicken to cook on high heat without stirring for 3-5 minutes, or until the bottom layer is seared to a golden brown. Then stir the chicken, and continue to cook until cooked through, breaking it up as you go.
- While the chicken is cooking, sauté snow peas in a separate pan in butter over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes, or until tender crisp. Season with kosher salt to taste.
- When the chicken is completely cooked through, whisk cornstarch into the orange sauce until completely incorporated, and then add to chicken in the wok. Cook on high heat and bring the orange sauce to a boil for 2-3 minutes. It’s ready when it thickens up and coats the chicken.
- Serve the orange chicken over white rice with the vegetables and garnish with orange slices and additional red pepper flakes if desired.
This recipe is adapted from Dinner Then Dessert’s Ground Orange Chicken.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 809
- Sugar: 44g
- Sodium: 962mg
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 24.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 76g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 46g
- Cholesterol: 190mg