- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/3 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes* (I used Main Street Bistro from Costco, heat according to directions)
- fresh herbs for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large oven-safe skillet (I used this 12 inch cast iron skillet), heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat.
- Sauté onions and carrots, seasoned with salt and pepper, for a few minutes until the onions are translucent. Push the carrots and onions to the side of the pan, and add the ground beef.
- Allow the ground beef to sit in the pan so that the bottom will sear. Season with salt and pepper.
- After a few minutes, break the meat up and stir around until mostly cooked through. Drain all but a tablespoon of the fat from the pan if needed.
- Stir the carrots, onions, and beef together in the pan and sprinkle with flour. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes, and then pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire. Scrap the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula to loosen the brown bits. Add herbs if desired.
- Let the gravy come to a gentle simmer and then stir in the frozen peas and heavy cream. Turn off heat.
- Spread potatoes over the top of the meat mixture. Drag the tines of a fork across the top in both directions so that it will brown nicely.
- Bake the shepherd’s pie at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn the oven to broil and cook 3-5 minutes more, or until the top is golden brown.
*Of course you could also make your own mashed potatoes from scratch. You would need about 6 large potatoes, and don’t forget to add a little milk, butter, salt and pepper!
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 486
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Sodium: 753mg
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 9.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14.1g
- Trans Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 31g
- Cholesterol: 102mg