- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2/3 cup Italian seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces good quality pizza sauce or marinara*
- 4 thick slices of mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large oven safe skillet (I use my big cast iron skillet) on medium high heat.
- In the meantime, pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thick between two pieces of wax paper, or inside a plastic bag. This will help the chicken cook more quickly and evenly. If you have thicker chicken breasts, you may want to consider slicing them in half horizontally so you have two thinner pieces.
- When the skillet is hot, place the chicken evenly around the pan. It will depend on the heat of your stove, but I cooked mine for about 8 minutes on each side, turning the heat down a bit once they were browned. Do not move the chicken around in the pan. This will help it brown, and seal in the juices.
- While the chicken is cooking, place a second skillet on the another burner with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon of butter on medium high heat. When the butter is melted, add your Panko and stir continuously. After about 3-5 minutes, you will notice that the breadcrumbs are just starting to brown and have a nice toasty aroma. Remove them from the heat, stir in the grated Parmesan cheese, and set aside.
- When your chicken is cooked through and browned on both sides turn off the heat and use a small spoon to place a layer of the toasted Panko on each one, patting it down to help it stick. You should only use about half of your Panko, reserving the rest for the bottom layer. Then place a slice of cheese on top of the Panko.
- Place the skillet under the broiler in your oven, and watch carefully for the cheese to melt. Then remove it from the oven.
- Place your remaining toasted Panko onto your serving dish. Then place each chicken breast onto the Panko. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the pizza sauce or marinara onto each one, and sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
*I have been using Classico brand pizza sauce lately and am loving it for more than just pizza.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 511
- Sugar: 3.1g
- Sodium: 651mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 9.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 62g
- Cholesterol: 179mg