For the Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cubed butter, very cold
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries (small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon ice water
For the Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jelly
- water by the teaspoon to reach desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt and heavy cream until smooth. Set aside.
- Add very cold butter (sometimes I freeze it for a few minutes after cubing) to the flour mixture and cut it in with a pastry cutter until you have pea sized flour covered lumps of butter.
- Add the strawberries and cream/yogurt mixture and mix with a wooden spoon to incorporate. Then use clean hands to bring the crumbs together into a dough ball gently so that the strawberries don’t get too mashed up. Knead gently, but work as quickly as possible so that the warmth of your hands doesn’t melt your little pieces of butter.
- If you feel like your dough is still to crumbly to hold together, you may need to add a tablespoon of two of ice cold water.
- Put the dough on a floured work surface and pat it into a round disk about 10 inches in diameter. Cut into quarters, and then each quarter in half for eight wedges.
- Transfer each wedge onto a parchment paper lined or greased baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. The tops will be lightly browned.
- Transfer the scones to a cooling rack.
For the Icing
- In a small bowl, whisk powdered sugar and heavy cream together. Add the jelly and whisk. You may add a small amount of pink food coloring if desired. If icing is too stiff, you can add water 1 teaspoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached. I like mine to be the same consistency as toothpaste.
- Spoon the icing into a small plastic bag, and cut a very small tip of the corner off. Drizzle onto cooled scones.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- Serving Size: 1 Scone
- Calories: 336
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 384mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 8.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 41mg