- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 28 ounce can good quality tomatoes (whole, peeled is best)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Better Than Bullion Chicken Base*
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and carrots in oil until they are soft and translucent. Add tomato paste, garlic, and dried basil and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (do not drain) along with water and chicken base. Stir, and add granulated sugar and salt. Simmer gently over medium heat, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Carefully ladle the soup mixture into a blender, making sure to allow air to escape out of the top so it doesn’t explode as it blends. Holding a kitchen towel over the lid, blend until velvety and smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot on low heat. Add butter, heavy cream, and balsamic vinegar. Stir until well combined, and then taste for balance of seasonings. Add additional salt, cream, or vinegar to taste. Keep on low until ready to serve.
- Garnish with additional cream, balsamic, and dried basil if desired, and serve with torn pieces of warm, buttery, crusty bread or grilled cheese sandwiches.
*You can substitute the water and chicken base with four cups of chicken or vegetable stock.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 1028mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 28mg