- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cubed
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and be sure your oven rack is in the middle of the oven, not too close to the top heating element. Prepare a standard size muffin tin by lining with paper liners and spraying the inside of the liners with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Measure 1 cup of heavy cream, and add 2 tablespoons white vinegar. Stir and allow to sit while the other ingredients are prepared. The mixture will thicken.
- In a large bowl, add all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir together and then remove 1/2 cup and set aside for later.
- To the remaining flour mixture in the bowl, add eggs, oil, vanilla, and the thickened heavy cream mixture. Stir together until just combined, and then add 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips and gently fold them into the batter. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Scoop the batter into each of the 12 muffin wells, filling them quite full. Scrape the batter bowl clean with a rubber spatula, and then add that reserved 1/2 cup of dry ingredients back into the bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons of butter, and use a fork to work the butter into the flour until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Top each of the 12 muffins with the crumble mixture and then add a few more chocolate chips to the top from the reserved 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Bake at 400 degrees for 22-24 minutes. The tops of the muffins will rise over the edge of the muffin well, and they will be golden brown.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack. Dust the tops with powdered sugar.
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 445
- Sugar: 25g
- Sodium: 251mg
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 63mg