- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 1-inch slices of firm white crusty bread (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup salted butter, room temperature plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Butter an 8 inch cast iron skillet, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, milk, sugar and extracts together.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread and arrange them in the pan, overlapping the slices.
- Sprinkle the chocolate over the bread, being sure to tuck some of the pieces in between the slices of bread.
- Pour the cream mixture over the top of the bread. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap, and set a heavy pan on top to push the bread down into the cream. Allow the bread to soak up the cream for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake the bread pudding for 30 minutes, sprinkling the sliced almonds on top for the last 10 minutes. Cover with a piece of tin foil if the top begins to brown. Remove from the oven.
- Allow the bread pudding to cool. There will be a thin layer of butter on top of the pudding, and this will soak in as it cools.
- Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 656
- Sugar: 38g
- Sodium: 425mg
- Fat: 40g
- Saturated Fat: 22g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.5g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 66g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 175mg