- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chicken base
- 1/3 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Whisk in flour and allow to bubble and brown for a few minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken base.
- Stir frequently until the white sauce begins to simmer, and thicken slightly.
- Turn the heat down to medium low, and stir in sour cream and heavy cream and chicken.
- Allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add in frozen peas, and toasted slivered almonds. To toast almonds, pour them into a small dry saucepan over medium high heat, stirring frequently until they are light golden brown. Watch carefully!
- Simmer on low for a few more minutes until the peas are warmed through.
- Serve over warm biscuits, or in puff pastry shells and garnish with chives if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 321
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 236mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 8.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 77mg