- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt
- For rolling:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Mix the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. The butter will soon begin to foam, and then turn brown and have a nutty aroma. Whisk the butter constantly through this process so it won’t burn. Remove from heat, and transfer to a small bowl to allow it to cool.
- With an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugars until smooth. Add the egg, yolk, vanilla, and yogurt until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients on low speed and mix well.
- Chill your dough for 3 hours or longer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a 1 tablespoon rounded scoop, roll the dough balls in sugar and place on a Silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to set for a few minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a rack for cooling.