This Beef Queso Chili is hearty and delicious with a cheesy queso base, pinto beans, ground beef, and rotini pasta. Everyone LOVES it!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 14 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 10 ounce can condensed tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Better Than Bullion (Beef base)
- 3 cups water
- 27 ounce can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups dry rotini pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2– 1 teaspoon salt as needed to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent. Add ground beef and brown, breaking it into pieces as it cooks. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- When beef is cooked through, add fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato soup, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and oregano, stirring over medium heat. Add beef base and water. You can also substitute an equal amount of liquid beef stock.
- Stir in drained pinto beans and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add pasta and continue to boil for 8-9 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the meantime, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk in flour and let bubble for 1-2 minutes before whisking in milk. Bring to a gentle simmer and continue whisking and cooking until thickened (about 3-5 minutes). Turn off heat and stir in shredded cheese until smooth.
- When the pasta is al dente, stir the cheese sauce into the chili. Taste for seasoning and add 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt as needed. Serve with lots of toppings! Our favorites are fresh cilantro, sour cream, cheese, avocado and Fritos.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 543
- Sugar: 5.2g
- Sodium: 1357mg
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 33g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
Keywords: beef queso chili, hearty chili, beef, queso, pinto beans, rotini pasta, dinner