Homemade pizza dough topped with barbecue sauce, grilled chicken, mozzarella cheese and red onions. A family favorite!
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus more for greasing)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1 cup grilled chicken, chopped
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley, chopped
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix yeast and warm water together. Allow the yeast a few minutes to soften, then add sugar, olive oil, and salt. Mix on low speed with the dough hook attachment, and then gradually add flour. When a dough has formed, turn the speed up to medium and knead with the dough hook for 4-5 minutes. Add additional flour as needed as you go. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl and be slightly sticky.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl, and then coat the inside with a little oil. Place the dough back into the bowl and cover. Allow to rise in a warm place (I use the bread proof setting on my oven) until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Punch the dough down, and divide into two equal portions. On a well-floured surface, stretch the dough into a disk shape. If the dough has too much elasticity and bounces back, you may need to let it rest for 5-10 minutes before continuing to roll it out into the shape of your pizza. I find it easiest to just place it on the baking sheet and then press it to the edges with my fingertips. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Place the dough on greased baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal, and then spread barbeque sauce, chicken, cheese, and red onion over the top.
- Bake on top rack for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is very bubbly and browned.
- I like to transfer my pizza to a cooling rack for 5 minutes before cutting on a board so that bottom of the crust stays crisp.
- Slice and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 pizza
- Calories: 1760
- Sugar: 38g
- Sodium: 3181mg
- Fat: 33g
- Saturated Fat: 33g
- Unsaturated Fat: 31.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 175g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Protein: 103g
- Cholesterol: 299mg