- 3 red peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 pound penne
- 1/4 pound butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop the red pepper into 1 inch pieces. Place on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the vinegar in a small saucepan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until 3 tablespoons remain and vinegar has thickened.
- Stir in the brown sugar. Remove from the heat.
- Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling, salted water according to the directions on the box.
- In a small dry saucepan, toast the pine nuts over medium heat until they are just golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the butter, vinegar, pepper, pine nuts, spinach, parmesan, and the remaining 1 teaspoons salt.
- Serve with additional parmesan.
Source: Adapted from Food and Wine