For the Cake
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 cups Granny Smith Apples (3 large or 4 small)
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons apple cider
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 10 inch springform pan by greasing it with butter, shortening, or nonstick spray.
- In a small sauce pan, heat 1 cup of apple cider to boiling over medium high heat. Continue to gently boil until the cider reduces by half. Cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time and mix on medium speed until pale yellow (about 2-3 minutes).
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add heavy cream to reduced apple cider.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the heavy cream mixture. The batter will be thick.
- Pour the batter into the spring form pan and level the top.
- Peel apples, and cut into 1/8 thick slices, removing the core. Arrange in a concentric pattern on top of the cake batter.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar together.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over the top of the cake and sliced apples.
- Bake @350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. The top will be dark (because of the cinnamon and sugar) and a toothpick inserted into the very center should come out clean.
- When ready to serve, whisk apple cider and powdered sugar together to make the glaze. Start with one tablespoon at a time, adding more apple cider as needed. When the glaze slowly drips off the end of a fork, it is a good consistency for drizzling.
This recipe is adapted from A Family Feast’s New England Apple Cider Cake. Go check out the blog for more great recipes!
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 436
- Sugar: 50g
- Sodium: 307mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.1g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 76g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 79mg