So happy to introduce you all to these new obsessions of mine! These truly are the Best Creamy Lemon Bars.
The lemon trees around here are heavy with ripe fruit waiting to be picked. There’s something so refreshing about a lemon dessert in January. It feels like there’s bottled up sunshine in those juicy little guys!
I have a few lemon favorites that I always come back to year after year, but I also like to try something new. After hearing so many good things about the Magnolia Lemon Pie, I decided to make my own version. For some reason, bars always feel easier than a round pie to me. They are easy to cut and serve, and you don’t have to worry about that crust caving in.
These Creamy Lemon Bars are very much like the lemon version of a key lime pie. They freeze very well, and the texture is something between a lemon mousse or custard. It’s lighter than cheesecake, and very refreshing! I like adding some sour cream to the traditional recipe because I think it helps round out the sweetness of the sweetened condensed milk.
I also like adding some lemon zest instead of just lemon juice. These Creamy Lemon Bars are sweet, tart, creamy, and the buttery graham cracker crust and homemade whipped cream are a must!
I hope this recipe brings some sunshine to you, especially if your January is feeling a little too cold and dreary. Stay cozy, friends!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
For the Crust
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 sleeve (or 1 1/4 cups) graham crackers, crushed finely
For the Filling
- 4 egg yolks
- zest of one lemon
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
For the Whipped Cream
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 by 9 inch baking pan by lining it with parchment paper, leaving two sides hanging over the edge for easy removal later.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter, sugar, and graham cracker crumbs together. Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of the lined pan. Use the flat bottom of a measuring cup if needed. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, vanilla extract and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, and then gradually increase speed to medium-high and whisk for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the lemon batter over the graham cracker crust and bake for 15 minutes. Then cool completely at room temperature and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
- For the whipped cream, add heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla to the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk on low speed for 1 minute, and then gradually increase speed to medium high until thick, and soft peaks form.
- Garnish with fresh lemon slices and mint leaves if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories: 654
- Sugar: 77g
- Sodium: 298mg
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated Fat: 18g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 85g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 173mg