I was at Target yesterday with Little Boys #1 and #2. As if Target wasn’t addicting enough on it’s own, they have Coke Icee’s now. For me these are a favorite from when I was a kid and my mom would buy them for us every time we shopped at K-Mart. In the middle of the summer, there is nothing more refreshing! So as I was juggling my wallet and my Icee in the checkout line, I somehow dropped it and the lid popped off. Yikes! Icee all over the floor AND my new TOMs wedges. So embarrassing… Had to have the clean-up on checkout #8 crew come, and I’m pretty sure everyone would have assumed it was one of my boys who made the mess, except they kept saying, “I can’t believe MY MOM dropped her Icee!” Fun times! Anywhoo…
Have you made a french toast bake yet? They are so versatile, easy, and great for feeding a hot breakfast to a crowd. You can do them savory or sweet, and you can even make them the night before and bake them when you are ready in the morning. This Peaches and Cream French Toast Bake is studded with juicy, ripe, peaches and then topped with homemade whipped cream!
I used croissants (say it with me now CWA-SOHN), found in the discounted “day old bread” section of my grocery store. They soaked in the sweet cinnamon egg and milk mixture perfectly. The top of the french toast bake gets nice and crisp, while the bottom is more like a set custard. And just kidding, I don’t really say croissant like that!
You can dust it with powered sugar, or even top it with butter and maple syrup. I had this every day for breakfast last week. So good! Make this soon while peaches are in still in season. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 4 croissants, chopped into one inch cubes (day old is great)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 large (or two small) peach, pitted and sliced thinly
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered Sugar
- Butter and Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place your cubed croissants into a greased 9 by 9 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Add in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, and brown sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the croissants, and gently press the croissants down so that all the cubes can soak in the egg mixture. You don't want them to be too dry on top.
- Tuck your sliced peaches in and around the top croissant cubes.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Tastes best served warm, but not piping hot.
- Place the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract into the bowl of an electric stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Start with a medium low speed, and gradually whip the cream until it has thickened slightly. Turn the speed up to high and whip until stiff peaks have formed. I like to chill the metal bowl of my stand mixer to help speed up the process.