This recipe is shared in partnership with McCormick.
It’s been a whirlwind of a September around here, and I can’t believe it’s already halfway in the books. With school back in session and all three boys in school this year, my mornings are quite peaceful (hallelujah!) but our afternoons are so busy! We’ve had lots of homework and projects already, and have added in soccer, golf, and choir. So I’m really needing dinner ideas that happen without a lot of time or effort. You hear me loud and clear right? We can all use a little help in that department!
This One Skillet Fajita Style Chicken and Rice recipe is just right for busy weeknights. What I love about it is that you only have to get one pan dirty, and we are using thinly sliced chicken breasts so they cook quickly. This means dinner is on the table, the drive thru line is avoided, and family time happens.
We are also thrilled to be using the new McCormick Organics Fajita Seasoning Mix. Love, love, love! All the spices you need for one dish all measured out for you in a neat little packet, made with certified organic and non-GMO ingredients.
The chicken is coated in flour and part of the spice packet, which seals in all the moisture and gives it such a great flavor.
After the peppers and onions are sautéed, rice, chicken broth, salsa, and the remaining part of the seasoning mix is added.
The chicken goes back in, and everything cooks for about 10 more minutes.
Throw on everyone’s favorite toppings, and dinner is done! The rice is tender, the chicken is juicy, and the flavor is fantastic!
This will become your new favorite busy weeknight dinner friend, and you’ll be so happy that you made it a priority to sit down with the family to a home cooked meal. Cheers to that! Enjoy friends!
Check out these ideas for more great back-to-school recipes from McCormick.
- 5 thin* boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 oz each)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 packet McCormick Organics Fajita Seasoning Mix, divided
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- Optional Toppings: Crumbled queso fresco, fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, tortilla strips, slices of lime
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour with 2 teaspoons of the McCormick Organics Fajita Seasoning. Set aside the remaining seasoning for later use in this recipe.
- Dredge the chicken into the flour on both sides, and shake off excess. Set the coated chicken breast on a plate, and repeat with all five pieces.
- Heat a large shallow pan or walled skillet on medium high heat. Add oil and butter, and half of the chicken to the pan. Cook about 4 minutes per side, and then remove the chicken from the pan to a plate, and repeat with the remaining chicken breasts. The chicken should be browned on both sides, and almost cooked through.
- With the pan still on medium high heat, add the onions and peppers and cook until just tender. Add the rice and toast for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, salsa, and the remaining contents of the seasoning packet, and stir. Bring to a boil, and then turn heat down to medium low and cover.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. If the liquid has all absorbed before the rice is tender, add 1/4 cup more water or broth and continue to simmer. Serve with suggested toppings as desired.
This recipe is sponsored by McCormick.