The boys and I love to go for walks through our neighborhood now that the weather is so lovely. The lemons are beginning to become ripe and drop from the branches, and the boys love to collect them. Now we always have a bowl of lemons on the counter, which is very handy when you decide lemon bars would be a good idea to make.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix softened butter, sugar, and flour.
- Press mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the top is just turning golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time and then add the lemon juice.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the baked crust. Bake for an additional 20 minutes. Allow the bars to cool before slicing.
*Kitchen tip: Always use a plastic knife to cut the lemon bars. The bars won’t stick and the squares have nice neat edges. Works with brownies too!