I’m getting ready to go on a little retreat to Nashville with my friends at KitchenAid, so I’m making a sweet little treat for my boys to have while I’m gone. Leaving treats helps relieve a little of that mommy guilt we sometimes feel but know we shouldn’t. It’s so good to miss the ones you love the most.
And the boys always have so much fun with dad while I’m gone. But if I could make one request, please eat at least one fruit and one vegetable each day, and scrub those feet in the shower okay?
Oh, and watch your screen time… you don’t want your brain to get mushy do you?
I pulled the recipe card for this Glazed Poppy Seed Almond Bread out of my box and it is written in my mom’s handwriting who I’m also missing very much right now as she has been in Kenya for the last few months. There’s something so wonderful about a handwritten recipe, don’t you think? I hope food blogs don’t ruin that for our kids!
The recipe card says that it comes from both my mom and mother in law, so I’m wondering if my mother in law passed it along to my mom? Whoever the source, this bread is incredible. It bakes up more like a pound cake than some quick breads, and it is so moist and full of flavor. The glaze on the outside is sweet and I love how the orange and almond blend together.
This is one of the best quick bread recipes I’ve ever tasted, and it can also be made into mini loaves and freezes well. Just reduce the baking time to about 40 minutes for smaller loaves. Make this for someone you love!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two large loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds and anise seeds. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream oil, sugar and eggs together until smooth. Add milk, vanilla extract, almond extract, and butter flavoring and mix together.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the batter and mix on low speed until just incorporated.
- Divide the batter into the loaf pans and bake for 50-60 minutes. The top should be brown and cracked, and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out with a few crumbs attached.
- Remove the pans from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes, invert the loafs onto a cooling rack, and then pour or brush glaze onto the top and sides of the bread. Sprinkle with sliced almonds if desired while the glaze is still sticky. Allow to cool completely and then store in an airtight container, or wrap in plastic wrap and foil to freeze.
- In a small sauce pan, whisk together orange juice and sugar over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves and the glaze becomes transparent. Add the butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract, and allow to cool a bit before brushing or pouring over the bread.