It’s been a while since I’ve been able to just follow the recipe. I’m always trying to give them my own spin, or work with what I already have on hand. My inability to follow a recipe as written is a blessing and a curse. On one hand, I love that creative outlet, tasting new flavor combinations, and of course, sharing them with you! But on the other hand, recipes are written in a specific way for a reason, and sometimes it really backfires on me, and I’m left with undercooked shortbread bars, really dry pumpkin bread, or curdled scalloped potatoes.
So I was thinking about making something along the lines of Rice Krispie Treats, and these Cranberry Almond Brown Butter Cereal Bars are what I came up with.
These are sweet and chewy and marshmallow-y. I made them with Honey Bunches of Oats With Almonds, but you could use any flaky cereal you have on hand. If you wanted a less sweet (more healthy) version, you could try using a cereal like Special K, just be sure to add 1/2 cup chopped almonds to the recipe and add them in with the dried cranberries.
The brown butter gives them a nice rich nutty butter flavor, and the cranberries add a sweet, chewy tang. The white chocolate drizzle dresses them up a bit.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 10 ounce bag of mini marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups Honey Bunches of Oats With Almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup white chocolate melting wafers
- In a medium pan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk continuously and be careful not to let it burn. Gently boil the butter until it foams, and then turns brown and has a nutty aroma.
- As soon as you see the butter has turned a light brown, turn the heat down to low and add the marshmallows. Stir them continuously until they are completely melted into the butter and turn the heat off.
- Stir in the salt, and then the cereal and cranberries.
- When the cereal is evenly coated in the marshmallow mixture, pour it into a greased 8 by 8 baking dish. Gently press it down into the pan.
- Melt the white chocolate wafers. I do this in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between.
- Pour the melted white chocolate into a Zip-loc bag and cut a tiny amount of one corner of the bag off.
- Drizzle the white chocolate over the cereal bars, and allow to cool and set. Cut into squares to serve.